Background. The relevance of the study is due to the crisis of modern pension systems and repeated attempts to improve the situation through legislative reforms (both in our country and in foreign countries). The aim of the study is to identify and analyze the political and legal doctrines that underlie the French pension legislation during its formation. The significance of the study consists in identifying ideas, concepts, principles that were used in the formation of acts of pension legislation at various stages of its development, and in finding opportunities to apply these ideas in modern conditions.
Materials and methods. The research methodology involves the use of a universal dialectical method of cognition, as well as a number of general scientific (analysis, synthesis, systemic-structural method) and specific scientific methods (historical and legal, comparative legal, formal legal, statistical). The scope of the study is limited to the period until the end of the 19th century, when the foundations of pension legislation were laid in France.
Results. The political and legal concepts that form the basis of the French pension legislation at the initial stage of its development are revealed. The normative acts on the support of the elderly people, adopted during this period, are analyzed.
Conclusions. In the course of the development of pension legislation that took place in France until the end of the 19th century, the ideas of foresight, self-help and individual responsibility were gradually replaced by ideas of social solidarity, collective mutual assistance and subsidiary participation of the state in providing for the elderly people, which were based on the ideas of the Enlightenment about the right of everyone to life and dignified existence.
1. Lavin' A. Uroven' zhizni pensionerov, mekhanizmy podderzhki sotsial'noy solidarnosti i obespecheniya ravenstva mezhdu muzhchinami i zhenshchinami s tochki zreniya pensiy vo Frantsii [Living standards of pensioners, mechanisms for supporting social solidarity and ensuring equality between men and women in terms of pensions in France]. Available at: https://isp.hse.ru/data/2019/09/19/1540936374/2_Diaporama_A%20Lavigne_Colloque%20Moscou_09-19-2019_RU.pdf (accessed March 23, 2020). [In Russian]
2. Lushnikova M. V. Vestnik trudovogo prava i prava sotsial'nogo obespecheniya [Bulletin of the Labor Law and Social Security Law]. 2007, no. 2, pp. 88–116. [In Russian]
3. Zakony Manu [Laws of Manu]. Transl. S. D. El'manovich. Moscow: Izd-vo vostochnoy literatury, 1960, 362 p. [In Russian]
4. Khrestomatiya po istorii Drevnego Rima: ucheb. posobie [Ancient Rome history book: teaching aid]. Ed. by S. L. Utchenko. Moscow: Sotsekgiz, 1962, 675 p. [In Russian]
5. Chernega O. A. Pravovaya model' blagotvoritel'nosti i blagotvoritel'nykh organizatsiy: grazhdansko-pravovoy i sotsiologicheskiy aspekty: avtoref. dis. kand. yurid. nauk: 12.00.03 [Legal model of charity and charitable organizations: civil and sociological aspects: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of juridical sciences: 12.00.03]. Moscow, 1998, 19 p. [In Russian]
6. Chelnokova G. B. Sotsial'noe zakonodatel'stvo, napravlennoe na zashchitu ot bednosti v Rossii: nauch.-prakt. posobie [Social legislation against poverty in Russia: scientific and practical teaching aid]. Moscow: Prospekt, 2009, 104 p. [In Russian]
7. Putilo N. V. Osnovy pravovogo regulirovaniya sotsial'nykh prav: avtoref. dis. kand. yurid. nauk: 12.00.01 [Fundamentals of social rights legal regulation: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of juridical sciences: 12.00.01]. Moscow, 1999, 21 p. [In Russian]
8. Lavigne A. Économie de retraites [Retirement savings]. Paris: Édition La Découverte, 2013, 126 p.
9. Gobbs T., Kanetti E. Leviafan. Kak rozhdaetsya chudovishche vlasti [Leviathan. How the monster of power is born]. Moscow: Rodina, 2019, 272 p. [In Russian]
10. Locke J. Two Treatises of Government. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1988, 469 p.
11. Montesquieu Ch. De l’esprit des lois [On the Laws spirit]. Paris: GF Flammarion, 2013, 395 p.
12. Kondorse Zh. Eskiz istoricheskoy kartiny progressa chelovecheskogo razuma: per. s fr. [Sketch of the historical picture of the progress of the human mind: translated from French]. 2nd ed., rev. Moscow: LIBROKOM, 2010, 280 p. [In Russian]
13. Rozanvallon P. Novyy sotsial'nyy vopros. Pereosmyslivaya gosudarstvo vseobshchego blagosostoyaniya [New social question. Rethinking the welfare state]. Moscow: Ad Marginem, 1997, 188 p. [In Russian]
14. Clavière É. Risques [Risks]. 1990, no. 1, pp. 128–135.
15. Ogus A. I., Barendt E. M. The Law of Social Security. London: Butterworths, 1978, 714 p.
16. Debbasch Ch., Pontier J.-M. Les constitutions de la France [The constitution of France]. Paris: DALLOZ, 1996, 469 p.
17. Khrestomatiya po istorii gosudarstva i prava zarubezhnykh stran: v 2 t. T. 2: Sovremennoe gosudarstvo i pravo [Reader on the state history and law of foreign countries: in 2 volumes. Volume 2: Modern state and law]. Comp. by N. A. Krasheninnikova. Moscow: Norma, 2004, 672 p. [In Russian]
18. Bichot J. Les politiques sociales en France au XX-e siècle [Social policies in France in the 20th century]. Paris: Armand Colin, 1997, 189 p.
19. Keppen A. P. Sotsial'noe zakonodatel'stvo Frantsii i Bel'gii [Social legislation of France and Belgium]. Saint-Petersburg: Tip. I. Gol'dberga, 1900, 354 p. [In Russian]
20. Roik V. D. Sotsial'noe strakhovanie: ekonomika finansy i upravlenie: ucheb. posobie [Social insurance: economics, finance and management: teaching aid]. Moscow: ATiSO, 2014, 222 p. [In Russian]
21. Deutsches Reichsgesetzblatt Band [German Law Journal]. 1889, no. 13, pp. 97–144.
22. Gol'denveyzer A. S. Sotsial'noe zakonodatel'stvo Germanskoy imperii: strakhovanie rabochikh: bol'nichnoe, ot neschastnykh sluchaev, na sluchay poteri sposobnosti k trudu i starosti (doklad, chitannyy v zasedanii 18 noyabrya 1889 g.) [Social legislation of the German Empire: insurance for workers: hospital insurance, insurance against accidents, insurance against loss of ability to work and old age (report of the session from November 18, 1889)]. 2nd ed. Moscow: LENAND, 2016, 184 p. [In Russian]